Monday, December 14, 2009

Advent Devotional from our DS's wife Robbie Craker

Monday, Third Week of Advent

We look at this Son and see the God who cannot be seen. We look at this Son and see God's original purpose in everything created. For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. He was there before any of it came into existence and holds it all together right up to this moment. And when it comes to the church, he organizes and holds it together, like a head does a body.

He was supreme in the beginning and—leading the resurrection parade—he is supreme in the end. From beginning to end he's there, towering far above everything, everyone. So spacious is he, so roomy, that everything of God finds its proper place in him without crowding. Not only that, but all the broken and dislocated pieces of the universe—people and things, animals and atoms—get properly fixed and fit together in vibrant harmonies, all because of his death, his blood that poured down from the cross.

–Colossians 1:15-20 (The Message)

When you read these words of Paul is your heart stirred and uplifted? Mine is. I think it’s because beauty matters so much to me. And these words of Paul paint such a beautiful picture of Jesus. Perhaps it is a part of who I am that I like uplifting, stirring things. The rise of a mountain. The towering of a tree. The surge of waves upon the shore. The fragrance of a deep-red rose. The sun dappling the water of the bay like diamonds and yellow topaz. The sweetness of a baby’s smile. The lilting perfection of a bright soprano voice. The melancholy tones of the oboe. Shakespeare. The innocent, clear, sweet notes of the flute. Poetry. Color. Order. Mystery.

Who gave us all these things? Jesus. What do they point us to? Creator. What does it mean when Creator is created? Think of it – Jesus, Creator of the universe and all that is within it, chose to live with His creation as one created – the Babe in the Manger. It is a mystery. And as the Babe grew we see He is interested in beauty. He moves among His creation – it becomes metaphor in many of His parables. He takes His broken creation – people lost in sin, blind, leprous, discarded and depraved – and makes them beautiful. What is our place in all of this? We, who are broken and made ugly by sin, are uplifted in the arms of grace and made beautiful in and through HIM! Then we are set free to be His agents bringing grace and beauty to our world. This can be accomplished in many ways – often with just a smile and a kind word. Remember, “do the thing that’s in front of you.”

I want to let you in on something that happened to my friend Stacy, who also happens to be Randy’s administrative assistant. She’s given me permission to share this with you. It’s a perfect example of doing what’s in front of her and making someone’s ugly circumstances beautiful.

In the midst of reading this, [that day’s devotional] the office phone rang. It was someone who was down and out, in desperate need. Laurie’s husband of 10 years walked out on her 4 days before Christmas [last year], emptying their bank account. She has 4 daughters to take care of. She is pounding the pavement daily looking for work, sometimes returning to where she’s already been, and nothing is happening. They have utilized the food bank and food stamps. She commented on her deep concern for her kids and yet what she’s looking for, what she really needs, is so basic. She said they are running out of cleaning products. She has a washer and dryer, but no soap. She is using water to clean the kitchen and bathroom counters because she doesn’t have anything else. Her girls are sick and she thinks it’s because she can’t clean her house. Toilet paper is a concern too – she confessed to stealing handfuls from restaurant restrooms out of desperation. Food stamps don’t cover this and food banks don’t carry such items. What should she do? I listened to her story and teared up as I realized that most people in need this time of year might pull on the “kids need gifts” heartstrings – that’s not wrong but you can’t enjoy toys if your stomach is empty or your filthy house is making you sick. It goes back to the basic human needs – food, clothing, shelter – that must be met before people can even think about anything else. The way I know Lori’s really in need is because she’s asking for one of those basic needs – shelter – or at least something related to it. She didn’t even ask for money to buy those things. I wanted to help, I wished I had a place to direct her to, but I was empty-handed at the moment. After hanging up the phone, I thought I could have done a little something. I have extra cleaning supplies from Costco at my house – bathroom cleaner, Clorox wipes – could I not have given that? I wish I’d gotten her phone number. I stopped before sending this and checked the phonebook – I think I can call her. She’d given me her last name and said she lived in Mead – I think it may have been just enough.

The rest of the story is that Stacy was able to find Laurie and call her back. And she was able to put together a box of cleaning items and other things and deliver it to her and the girls. Also, Laurie was excited because she was called back for a job interview.

Father, thank you lifting us in the arms of grace – for stamping us with the image of Christ – making us beautiful. Please give us open hearts and hands to those who need a touch of grace and beauty today. Amen.”

A favorite song of mine – Creator King

You, Who made the mountains and the sea,

Measured out the universe, and You made me

Echoes of the voice that called the worlds to be

Reach throughout the ages and now speak to me;

You’re my Creator King.

Who am I that You are mindful of me;

Who am I that You set Your love on me;

You’re my Creator King.

You, Who made the valleys and the sky,

Displayed Your love on far horizons and before my eyes;

You, Who lit the stars and set the dawn in time

Called them all by name and now You whisper mine;

You’re my Creator King.

Who am I that You are mindful of me;

Who am I that You set Your love on me;

You’re my Creator King.

You, Who made the darkness and the light,

Sun and moon to watch the day and guard the night;

The hand that stretched the heavens like a canopy

Reaches down to cover and watch over me;

You’re my Creator King.

Who am I that You are mindful of me;

Who am I that You set Your love on me;

Who am I that You are mindful of me;

Who am I that You set Your love on me;

You’re my Creator King. You’re my Creator King.

You’re my Creator King. You’re my Creator King.

1 comment:

grammasnotes said...

Quietly and deeply refreshing and inspiring. Thanks.