Thursday, December 3, 2009

Advent Devotional from our DS's wife Robbie Craker

Thursday, First Week of Advent 2009

Christ is exactly like God,

who cannot be seen. Colossians 1:15a – CEV

God is fully revealed in Jesus. The unknowable, unseen God is intimately knowable and completely revealed in Jesus.

In the Old Testament we get glimpses of God. He reveals Himself to a few choice people. He longs to know His people and be known by them. But His presence is dangerous to them. It is said you would die if you saw God. He seems aloof, all-powerful, and at times angry. Some see and know Him --

Adam & Eve who walked and talked with God prior to the fall and were clothed by God after the fall;

Abraham who heard God’s voice and obeyed, worshipping all along his journey;

Jacob who wrestled with God;

Moses who stood face to face with God on the mountain;

The Psalmist –

Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,

He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

David saw and knew God. But even to him God was partially revealed; partially known.

Now for us, we can know Him – He is revealed to us through His Son. His Spirit is given to us so we can have complete intimacy with Him.

Don’t miss out on seeing Him today. Don’t miss out on knowing Him today. Through the birth of His Son He is revealed to us.

Our Father, we want to know You and be known by You. We want to live in relationship with You. Today as we go about our ordinary lives, would you reveal Yourself to us. Help us to see You in everyone we meet. Help us to see You in the beauty of Your creation. Help us to hear You in the silence and in song. Amen

Open the Eyes of my Heart

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord.

Open the eyes of my heart.

I want to see you, I want to see you.

To see you high and lifted up,

Shining in the light of your glory.

Pour out your power and love,

As we sing holy, holy, holy.

O to be like Thee, oh to be like Thee,
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou
art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

No comments: