Friday, December 18, 2009

Advent Devotional from our DS's wife Robbie Craker

Friday, Third Week of Advent 2009

We look at this Son and see the God who cannot be seen. We look at this Son and see God's original purpose in everything created. For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. He was there before any of it came into existence and holds it all together right up to this moment. And when it comes to the church, he organizes and holds it together, like a head does a body.

He was supreme in the beginning and—leading the resurrection parade—he is supreme in the end. From beginning to end he's there, towering far above everything, everyone. So spacious is he, so roomy, that everything of God finds its proper place in him without crowding. Not only that, but all the broken and dislocated pieces of the universe—people and things, animals and atoms—get properly fixed and fit together in vibrant harmonies, all because of his death, his blood that poured down from the cross.

–Colossians 1:15-20 (The Message)

I love theology. I don’t read much theology because my husband reads and then tells me all about it – that’s easier for me! That serves a great purpose for both us – my need to know and his need to share what he knows. Even so, I like to read theology – in fact even one of my favorite fiction series is based on the writings of real theologians (unlike me a faux-theologian). But I especially like to be in dialogue about theology – the give and take – the questions and answers – the thinking, the thinking, the thinking. But I’m also a doer. Can’t sit forever – have to get up and do something with what I’ve learned.

After all the best is “living” theology. I often say that I have to “talk things out” to gain fuller understanding – that’s why I like theological conversations. But I also have to “live things out” to make them more than just a thought or word – to me they must become deeds. This is possibly why I spend the time writing these devotionals – to help me stay focused during the season, to explore the scripture, to do something tangible with my focus and exploration.

Thank you to my theologian son-in-law, Dustin, for writing a 4 page article that helped me with the concept of “doing what is in front of me.” It has transformed my thoughts and actions this Advent Season. As we’ve been looking at the Image of God, the firstborn over all creation, the Creator who didn’t set creation in motion and let go, but who holds all things together – many of you have been “doing what is in front of you.” It is what Jesus asks of us. Here are two more stories of theology lived out.

From my Texas daughter-in-law, Veronica:

“Today I will be doing what is in front of me.

For the past week our office has been donating money to purchase two bikes for a boy and a girl for the Salvation Army. We hit our goal Monday so today I am taking our truck to Wal-Mart to buy two bikes and two helmets. The fundraising for the Salvation Army is very poor this year. The great thing about our fundraiser is the people who are donating. As you know we've had furloughs and pay cuts across the board. Since I announced via e-mail that we were doing this little project I've had a photographer give me two bucks because "that's all I have." A news reporter donated $30 even though I know he travels often and probably doesn't have a lot of money to donate. Another photographer is the sole bread winner in his family with four kids. He donated the most money and it was his idea to buy the bikes!

Anyway, I just thought it neat that the people I expected the least out of were the first ones to step forward and help out.”

From a young pastor/leader on our District:

“I am not one that normally shares these kind of stories because I don’t need it to look like I am giving myself a pat on the back. But I wanted to share this story with you because it is directly related to how your devotional impacted me. Monday night and Tuesday morning we received our first snow fall of the year. Although I love the snow, it did bring with it all of the inconveniences: late out the door because of shoveling, kids school delayed, finding a new company to plow the church since the normal guy broke his blade first thing. So the day was already starting late and hectic. I was driving down town to meet a guy from our church for coffee. As I was driving I noticed an elderly lady walking down the sidewalk, attempting to push a walker. Of course no sidewalks had been shoveled so needless to say she was having a tough time. I followed my normal impulse to maintain my busy schedule and I kept driving. As I drove it was almost like someone said, “You should give her a ride.” So I turned around and back tracked to find this lady. I found her and pulled over to offer her a ride. Of course she accepted. She was headed to Rite Aid, about 12 blocks away. I got her to the store and she insisted that she had a daughter that was supposed to meet her there. So I dropped her off and left to head to the appointment of which now I was late. But last night as I was laying in bed recapping my day I had this sense like, if I did anything right today it was giving her a ride. So thank you for your resent devotionals insisting on the idea of “doing what is in front of us.” God definitely put something in front of me yesterday…what will it be today. Thanks.”

“Father, we don’t want to know about You – we want to know You. Thank You for sending Your one and only Son to us to reveal Who You are. Thank You for giving us Your Spirit who directs us and gives us opportunity to share in Your redemptive work. Open our eyes to what is before us today. Amen”

A great theology carol: Silent Night, third verse

Silent night! Holy night!

Son of God, love’s pure light

Radiant beams from Thy holy face,

With the dawn of redeeming grace,

Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth,

Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth.

No comments: